One of the reasons organic foods have grown in popularity is that they are chemical free, but did you know many organically grown foods are found to be higher in vitamins and minerals? This is because soil today is depleted from over farming and pesticides. Smaller organic farms care for the soil by not using pesticides & herbicides, rotating crops, and planting cover crop during the winter. These small farm methods all create healthier soil with more minerals that grow healthier food.
Magnesium is one of those magic minerals. Many people are unaware of the benefits from getting plenty of magnesium in the diet. And many people are unaware that they are deficient in this important mineral.
- Lowers blood pressure, many who are diagnosed with high blood pressure are deficient in magnesium.
- Acts as a natural muscle relaxer, magnesium helps regulate melatonin and serotonin levels so taking it about an hour before bedtime can help relax you and help with falling asleep.
- Builds stronger muscles, magnesium helps produce more Insulin like Growth Factor (IGF-1), which is a major contributor to muscle growth.
- Alkalizes the body, when the body is deficient in magnesium it forms lactic acid which can lead to acidic ph, gout, and joint pain
- Helps relieve constipation, magnesium can be used to cleanse the bowels of toxins
Foods high in magnesium include:
Leafy greens– spinach, collards, kale
Seeds– pumpkin, flax, and sunflower
Fish– salmon, halibut, and tuna
Beans– edamame, black beans, chick peas, and lentils
Sample of a magnesium rich meal:
Baked Salmon, served with sauteed spinach and black beans. Topped with sliced avocado.
For dessert- sliced banana topped with shaved dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy and Relax!!